Try to do housekeeping first (the basic step) and this will help them to narrow down the issue and solve the problem quickly.
PC Troubleshooting methods
- Have a service tag handy
- Run diagnostics – Restart the PC and press F12 and select Diagnostics. The basic test took only 5 minutes while the complete one took about 30 minutes.
High Pitch Issue
- Take out the speaker by opening keyboard
- Replace hard drive
- Run diagnostics
- Put the CD into CD-bay and let it run
- Update the sound card driver from Dell Support
- It seems that if the disc start to write and sound is gone but when idle then the noise comes up again
Blue Screen Death (iastorv.sys)
- Can’t get the memory dump both small and complete. It’s failed.
- Possibly related on the Windows Update which is updating one of the driver.
- Dell can’t pin point this issue and the only way to do it is to reinstall the OS.
- Reinstall the Windows OS solved the problem.
Rebuilding Dell Latitude E6400 Manually
- Install Windows Vista Business 32 bit using Reinstalation DVD Windows Vista Vusines 32BIT SP1 DVD
- Giving the standard PC name
- Install drivers from Dell Drivers and utilities DVD
- Do Windows Update
- Install Microsoft Office 2007 Business/Professional
- Install Dell Application DVD – Cyberlink PowerDVD (comes from Dell)
- Install Roxio Creator 9.0 DE DVD (comes from Dell)
- Install CutePDF
- Install Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Install Adobe Flash Player
- Create H (home directory)
- Create S (shared) drives
- Change the Workgroup/Domain
- Copy I386 folder into temp folder
- Dell Latitude E6400
- Microsoft Windows Business 32 bits
- Contact number for Dell Premium Support: 1300 661 702